Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Best Hunting Rifle for Deer Hunting?

I am interested in going deer hunting, what is a good rifle i could get for less than $500?


I have been duck hunting a few times, but no one i know ever goes hunting anymore, and i dont want to get a dog to train for duck hunting.Best Hunting Rifle for Deer Hunting?
Way back,right after I invented dirt, I thought I would only need one rifle and have that rifle or at least cartridge forever, and that was a 30-06. After all these years and lots of other guns and calibers, I've never been without a 30-06. There are a lot of calibers you could use for deer hunting, many states mandate a minimum of 6mm/243 Win; and that is with using a 90 grain or better bonded core or controlled expansion bullet. Personally, given the choice I would move up to 7mm-08,270,308 or again, my favorite the 30-06.


As for rifles at $500, there are Remington 700 ADLs at WalMart currently for $445-$475, some with the cheap scope on them, but a decent Nikon Pro Staff is $160-$200 depending on where you buy it. They also have the 770 Remingtons but I don't advise getting those to anyone. Savages and Weatherby Vanguards were similar in price again, some with scopes that are usable but not top tier by any means. Any would be fine choices. The Howa 1500 / Hogue stock with Nikko Sterling scope is usually about $450-$495 and the Howa is the same as a Vanguard,so that is a great deal. If I were to spend $500 on just a rifle I'm getting a Tikka T3. I'm not a big fan of 30-30s or lever actions, not because they don't do the job, but because there are so many better rifles and cartridges these days. If I chose a 30-30 at least they make the Hornady Lever Revolution cartridges now. I hunt in areas where any thing from 400 yard shots to 30 foot shots can happen, and I would rather err on the side of the 400 yard shot.





Almost forgot---Cabela's has some Remington ADL in 270 for like $400.Best Hunting Rifle for Deer Hunting?
What kind of hunting are you wanting to do?





If you are going to spend most of you time in the woods where shots are limited to 100 yards or so, a Marlin 30/30 will fit the bill fine.





If you are wanting to look over a 20 acre bean field and take shots at 200-300 yards and $500 is just for the gun, not the scope you would do well with a bolt gun from most all the major manufactures. There are folks on here that will fight all night about which is better a Win. 70, Browning A-Bolt, Ruger 77, or Rem 700. Any of these are accurate enough for deer hunting and should be found for $500 or less. Caliber you want for this type of gun also plays a role in your choice. Unless you want to get into reloading I would stick with one of the 5 or 6 rounds that can be found still at wal mart and in most any little back woods hardware store. I would not go smaller than 243, while a 223ish round is good at times, they really are not great deer rounds. If you are hunting larger deer found north of me, I would go with a 270, 308, or 30-06. If you think you may want to go elk hunting some day and use your one center fire rifle you may want to look into a 300 win mag but that is a bit of over kill for deer.





Good luck.





Dave
Its not the ';best'; gun for hunting deer...but the cheapest way would be to get a 30-30, the poor man's deer hunting rifle...you can get one for $300 or less. Also in the same price range would be an SKS, more of a military surplus rifle, but a lot of people do use them for deer hunting.
Tons of answers are going to appear for your question, and mostly comes down to personal preferance. I use a Savage .30-06 or a Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem. Mag. But do check out the Savage packages. The .30-06, .270, or .308 would be some popular, suitable choices.
I say go with a .308 Remington or a .270 Remington. Remington is a great brand and make really nice rifles. Not sure 'bout the cost though.
A Stevens 200 with 30-06, Remington 770 in 30-06 or Ruger M77 in 30-06...
.243 is the best gun price for good deer hunting round. you will be able to get some cheap the ammo isnt very costly and it sights in quite well
Any Savage 308 Winchester. They should all be under 500.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks

Unknown said...

When shopping for a deer rifle, always ask yourself the following question. What makes a good deer rifle? Well, ensure it has the correct caliber, barrel, stock, and optics. I see you have mentioned a minimum of two Remington models. From what I know, Remingtons are among the best big game hunting rifles. I found Remington 798 Model review here: http://wildernessmastery.com/hunting/best-hunting-rifle.html

AdventureFootstep said...

I use SKS for deer hunting. It's good!
adventurefootstep

Post a Comment