Saturday, August 21, 2010

While out in the woods, relaxing or hunting.....?

Have you ever had that 'enlightening' or the feeling of some kind of 'divine intervention'? I have had a few great moments in the woods that have changed my perspective and see a bit more clearly. Has anyone else had that type of 'enlightenment'?While out in the woods, relaxing or hunting.....?
In a way, yes. If you think about it we are inundated with so many things in our modern world that we come to think that’s “normal”. But all the stimuli of this modern world is not natural, man created it.


When I spent a great deal of time in the wild I noticed some things. After some time I could, hear, smell and sense things better. My eyes could pick up movement better. After a few weeks out there I felt more alive. I could hear a bark beetle chewing under the bark of a tree, the wings of a bird flying at longer distances and smell the plants respond to the morning sun.


This produced a feeling of euphoria that’s impossible to explain. I was shedding what civilization had done to my senses and mind and was becoming one with nature similar to primitive man.





I found once I had reached that point I could meditate on this with a new perspective. It was as if life was full of freshness and vigor. All the crap and garbage of the rat race no longer hindered me. I was free, happy but felt profoundly small in the whole of nature. For if I died no animal would mark that as significant, yet I felt life itself great significance. No accomplishment of mine there would stay, just like the crumbling mountains from time never remain the same. I could see how man fears his life will never be noted and tries to leave his mark in some way in vain. When what is really important is not what others may remember of you but of what you feel you have accomplished with it to your own satisfaction. This is why we can be surrounded by thousands of people and still feel alone. Because were more concerned what others think of us than what we think of ourselves. And so we never worked on the simple things to make ourselves happy instead we made it too complex. And maybe there is a deity that we can’t perceive because we are looking for it as one thing and yet it’s all around us and we are part of it.





Or it could have been too much sun...............................While out in the woods, relaxing or hunting.....?
No, but I can understand where you're coming from.I spend hundreds of hours in a tree Stand bow hunting every year. I solve the worlds problems, meditate on the universe, the meaning of life, The mysteries of space, and yeah, sometimes trying to figure out women. But I have a friend whose dad passed away two hunting seasons ago.The past 2 seasons has been his best deer hunting and fishing years of his life. He told me that he felt that it was his dad, putting the deer out by him and causing his good luck. Who am I to argue?
It gives me time to think about what is going on in my life- with school, at home, etc... Sitting there makes things look so simple, shows you that not everything in life is 'go go go' and that you need to slow down sometimes and realize what you have now isn't so bad, even if its the worst thing that there could ever be.





For me, it helps me look at things going on from a different way.
Last deer season was right after my wife and I split up, and being away from everything and not having cell phone service was great. Time to think, no worries, no problems, just came back with a cleared head.
well usually after any extreme situation, my views on hunting will sway further to the direction of respecting game, but ive never seen divine intervention.
yeah but, i was drinking......lol





I think it can be done in the nice calm boondocks. Become one with nature and the smells stimulates the brain.
Afraid not.

No comments:

Post a Comment