Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is a good set of hunting binoculars?

Power, lenses, etc.What is a good set of hunting binoculars?
It really depends on what your intended use is. Just to check out a shape you spotted with the naked eye? Just about any good compact binocular will do fine.I like my Bushnell 7x50 Ensign..if you can find em. If you can't find some then any reputable major manufacture that has a 5 or better for eye relief comfort (example 50 divided by 7 = 7.14). Smaller than that and your eyes get tired pretty quick when your glassing areas for a long period of time.What is a good set of hunting binoculars?
When it comes to hunting scopes, I only use one brand - Leupold. They are more expensive, but are worth every penny and are backed by Leupold's great customer service.





Now then. When it comes to hunting binoculars, I change into an entirely different animal...





The issue with binoculars is that they can be bulky and weigh you down on a hunt. I seldom ever use them. Maybe on the first day of deer season I will take them with me..but that is because I try to spend most of the first day in a one spot and don't move around much.





The other part of my phobia with binoculars is that unlike a rifle scope, it's possible to either drop them or simply forget them at your deer stand. Sure, you can spend $1,000 on a nice pair of Zeiss binoculars. But, in the middle of the night after opening day, when you are half asleep, all of a sudden you sit up and bed and say...';Oh my Gaaawd'; - suddenly remembering how you lopped the neck strap of your expensive Zeiss over a a broken tree limb at your tree stand and forgot to take them before you left.





Part two of the binocular problem is that it is possible...unlikely, but possible, that one of your absolute best friend and hunting buddy will say, ';Hey partner. I see you got your deer. Can I borrow your binoculars today?'; Hmmm. That's when you want to whip-out the pair of Sears binoculars that you paid $20 for at the local flea market back in the summer.





So there is it. I use Leupold scopes on my rifles but go with the cheap/used Sears brand binoculars when I go hunting.
Bushnell auto focus 8 power. Affordable and no messing with focus adjustment. Whatever you're looking at is what is magnified.
Nikon Monarch ATB or Leupold Arcadia 10x42. Nice light binos. Some may say cheaper ones but,if you ever use these you won't go back. Good warranty as well.
swarovski

No comments:

Post a Comment